What do you think about Rapid

Aug 2, 2009 at 11:48 PM

Let us hear your thoughts. What can we do better, what have we done wrong, how can we make rapid to work for you and your team. Any comment is welcomed. Cheers

Feb 9, 2010 at 11:16 AM
what are the features that need to be added and no one has started working on it. Is there any feature list for this release?
Feb 9, 2010 at 12:41 PM
Edited Mar 15, 2010 at 12:18 AM

one feature that i will like to see is xml mapping, at the moment our mapping strategies is attribute based (Which is right because it favours convention than configurations), but we cannot force everybody to stick to that convention, some people would prefer xml mapping. The following are the features i would love to have on this framewok.

1. XML mapping. to complement the attribute based mapping
  2. Configuration should be allowed on config files as well as code. (At the moment, we support code - based configuration)
  3. Text based query. At the moment, rapid supports RQL , LINQ , Criteria , Functional  and xml queries due to the flexibilities of the query engine we can always add any query flavour. i would like to see something like this :  "SELECT product FROM Product as product WHERE product.ProductId != null " . We need an efficient string parser.
  4. Self tracking is another feature. (A difficult one because Rapid ensures change tracking via its runtime). I would like entities to be detached and able to audit its own changes. Although we can achieve this by comparing database value with entity values for changes
  5. Improvements on our designer, we should ensure that the designer makes it very easy for user to map entities both attributes and xml. Designer needs more powerful visual effects. For example, you can only drag one table at a time onto the designer surface, i would love dragging a multiple tables.
  6. Support for stored procedure.
  7. Designer wizards, in addition to draging, we can have a wizard that pops up and we follow the instructions and generate our models from there.
  8. A new Database provider probably for SQL Lite , sybase  etc
  9. We need alot of refactoring mercilessly. Some codes are nightly build
  10. Better documentation , or user guide
  11. We need data validation. Upon create or update. Even load.
Feb 9, 2010 at 12:47 PM

The new release supports the following (Although i am lagging behind in the area of documentation)

1. Entity Splitting. Mapping multiple tables into a single Entity
  2. Table splitting. Splitting a table into multiple entities
  3. Entity interceptors. Allows you to intercept entity life cycle events like OnLoad , OnDelete , OnUpDate
  4. Metadata Compilation. The Configuration will include a Compile method which will enable you to extract all metadata details on application start rather than the default (per request).
  5. Static time RQL Improvement. RQL will soon allow you to query using statically bound properties (Using compile time property over string).
  6. Generated SQL enhancement.
  7. Improved LINQ and LINQ Projections
  8. Improving Composite Keys
  9. Improved Designer Support
  10. Support for Interface based entity
  11. XML Query. RQL XML Query Flavour support. You will be able to send xml request conforming to RQL schema and you will get result back based on the criteria in the query.
  12. Criteria API, another query flavour, without the SQL jargons.
  13. Functional Query. This are compiled query.
  14. Entity Serialization and Deserialization. (Serialize and deserialize entities into xml).